This secret hollow book would be a great gift for kids, especially if they are into spy stuff. It would also a fun way to wrap a gift. Make one out of a horrible sounding book and watch the person pretend to like the decoy present!
Container with Lid (to hold glue)
Exacto Knife or Box Cutter
1. Mix up a solution of approximately 50% glue and 50% water. Clip the first page of the book to the front cover. Using a paint brush, apply the glue mixture to all three sides of the remaining pages.
2. Place a divided between the front page and the glued pages so they don't stick together. Put something heavy on top of the book to press the pages together. I used kitchen tiles as dividers and two liter sodas as a weight. Allow to dry (about 30 minutes).
3. Use a ruler and draw a half-inch border around all four sides.
4. Using a straight edge and an exacto knife or box cutter, cut inside your border. Keep your knife as straight as possible. Cut a few pages at a time and continue until you have reached the back cover or as far down as you want to go. Take your time to get a smooth edge. I was a little impatient so mine is a bit rough.
5. I forgot to take a picture of this step. Once you are done cutting, brush your glue solution all over the inside of the book. Brush some on the top and carefully press down the front page that was held back during the first step. Close the book and place the weights on it again (I put a piece of plastic wrap in between the front cover and the first page so they wouldn't stick together). Allow to dry for about 30 minutes.
6. Once dry, cut through the front page. By doing it this way you cover all of the markings that you made in step three. The inside of the book may still be a bit sticky since it didn't get much air during the last step. Leave the cover open and allow it to dry the rest of the way.