Today my SuperJeremy finally got his first real cape! No more bath towel capes for this boy. He is flying in style now!
I don't have any photos of the process because my camera is lame and won't hold a charge. It was pretty easy to do though and it was all from scraps of stuff I had laying around.
First I cut a piece of fabric to the height and bottom width that I wanted it. Then I measured the width of his shoulders to figure out how wide the top would be. I marked that measurement in the center of the top of the fabric (this one is 10" wide so I marked where the center of the fabric was and made marks 5" out on both sides). Using a cutting guide and rotary scissors (or yard stick, pen and regular scissors) start at your mark at the top and angle to the outside corner at the bottom. Do this on the other side as well and you will have the basic cape shape. Mine is 10" wide at the top, 21" wide at the bottom and 23" long.
I used double-fold bias tape on the edges and an 18" scrap of belt webbing for the neck strap with velcro on the ends to fasten it.
I made the applique using scraps of fabric and Heat n Bond iron-on adhesive to hold the pieces in place while I sewed them on.
Now my superhero is properly attired. :)
Apparently his new cape makes him fly down the stairs. Look at that smile! It was definitely worth the twenty or thirty minutes it took to put this together. :)
This post may contain affiliate links. These affiliate links help support this site. For more information, please see my disclosure policy. Thank you for supporting Polish The Stars.